Monday, August 11, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Working Mom

Last Friday was quite a day for me. It had really been a long week and by Friday I was just shot. Unfortunately Friday is usually one of my busiest work days and this one was exactly that. Let's see if I can remember how to recap it.

Midnight: Infant awakens demanding food. (This is normal.)

2AM: Infant awakens demanding food. (Wait, didn't we already do this?)

4AM: Infant awakens demanding food. (You better be going through a growing spurt, otherwise this is just mean.)

5:30AM: Alarm goes off reminding me that I'm supposed to leave for work early this morning, so I need to hop in the shower before the husband and the toddler wake up. Hit the snooze button instead.

5:55AM: Toddler awakens. (Apparently I turned the alarm off instead of hitting snooze.) Force toddler onto the potty and decide to do a wet wipe sponge bath (one of the advantages of having small children) instead of a shower, since husband is now waking, too.

6:00-6:54AM: General chaos as everyone awakens and demands their various clothing, breakfast, and entertainment needs be met immediately. Eventually there is coffee.

6:55AM: Five minutes before I plan to walk out of the door the infant again demands food. Realize that if I feed her now I won't have to pump the minute my 8AM meeting is over, so decide to risk running late.

7:20AM: Finally in the car and on the way to work 20 minutes later than planned (toddler demanded my help - not his father's - putting on his shoes, even though his father was the one taking him to daycare.)

8:05AM: Arrive at work only 5 minutes late (I love Friday morning lack of traffic) and get into the monthly department meeting at which I'm supposed to talk with enough time to compose myself before it's my turn. But when it's my turn my brain is so mushy that the new products I'm demoing get explained with phrases like "Check it out yourself, it's pretty self-explanatory" rather than actually, you know, explaining how they work.

11AM: Am too busy making fun of the raving conspiracy rant that someone abandoned in our printer that I forget my first pump break of the day.

12:20PM: Finally realized that I forgot that pump break and frantically race to my other "office" followed by a rushed trip to the closest fast food joint to pick up lunch on the remaining few minutes of my lunch break.

4:45PM: Second pump break of the day.

5-6PM: Am so busy actually working that I forget to spend time on Pinterest meal planning for next week (I try to do a lot of my grocery shopping after work on Fridays).

6:15PM: stop at the Costco closer to work and slightly out of my way rather than the one closer to home because I'm running on fumes and need to fill up with cheap Costco gas as well as reasonably priced bulk items.

6:55PM: getting back into my car after the Costco trip and husband calls asking me to pick up C batteries for the infant's swing (does anything besides infant swings use C batteries?), so rather than head back into Costco, hit up the next mass merchandiser on my way home and grab myself a pop, because I need caffeine desperately, but know that if I have coffee this late I won't be able to fall asleep until the infant wakes up for her midnight feeding.

7:45PM: Arrive home to pandemonium. Toddler has been fed, but is cranky and ready to get ready for bed. Infant is hungry and tired. Husband is playing video games. Luckily, I get the infant. Husband wrestles toddler onto the potty and then into pajamas and bed.

8:30PM-midnight: For some dumb reason, both husband and I stay up insanely late doing nothing that I can actually remember now a few days later. I think I was on my computer. Facebook? Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment